Your rights

Your right to social care and support

If you think you need social care support, you’ll need to think about what types of support you need – be it homecare workers, equipment or respite breaks. Your first step to getting this sort of help should be to ask your local authority social services department for an assessment of your needs. This assessment […]

Employment rights for carers

Continuing to work while caring can help you feel good about yourself and provide you with social interaction outside of your caring role. But staying in work or returning to work might feel like a daunting prospect and you may find it helpful to take some time off or to ask your employer if you […]

What is the Mental Capacity Act?

The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) is designed to protect and empower individuals who may lack the mental capacity to make their own decisions about their care and treatment. It is a law that applies to individuals aged 16 and over. Examples of people who may lack capacity include those with: However, just because a person […]

Getting legal help

If you are having trouble claiming the right benefits, are having difficulties with your landlord, or you’re simply finding it challenging to manage your affairs (or the affairs of someone you look after), you may need expert legal advice to resolve these issues. Knowing where to find legal advice will help take the pressure off […]

Article tags:

Finding an independent financial adviser

Financial advisers come in different guises and aren’t always called ‘financial advisers’. Sometimes they are named by their specialism such as ‘mortgage adviser’, ‘investment adviser’, ‘pension adviser’ or ‘financial planner’. Sometimes they are known as ‘brokers’ – often when dealing with products like home and car insurance, mortgages or investments like shares. Why might you […]

Care and support: what’s changing?

Since the Care Act 2014, the way people receive care and support has changed to be more consistent across England. The changes in the Care Act are designed to put you in control of the help you receive. Any decisions about your care and support will consider your wellbeing and what is important to you and […]

Accessing your social care records

If you are in contact with social services at your local authority, or are accessing care services, your local authority will keep records about you and your situation in order to help make decisions about your care and to design future services. The type of information social services at the local authority will keep about […]

Other financial help

If you’re on a low income and are getting certain income-related benefits, you may be eligible for extra help with everyday health costs, including: free prescriptions (income-based benefits only) free NHS dental treatment and dentures (income-based benefits only) free NHS sight tests, glasses and contact lenses (income-based benefits only) vouchers to help you buy or repair […]

Article tags:

Get in touch with us on: 01708 776770 (Select Option 2) or via online forms