Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a benefit that helps with the cost of rent if you have a low income. It’s administered by your local authority. It can be paid whether you’re in council or private housing, and you can claim it whether you’re in or out of work. Find out more about eligibility for Housing Benefit, […]

Benefits advice from the Welfare Rights Unit

Havering Council has a Welfare Rights Unit dedicated to providing benefits advice to people living in Havering. As a unit, we provide advice to residents on how you can maximise your income and understand your benefits. We work closely with the Pension Service and other agencies and can signpost you towards other services that you […]

Article tags:

Claiming income-related benefits

If you think you may be entitled to an income-related benefit, such as Income Support, Housing Benefit, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), or Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, you should make a claim as soon as possible. You can call 0800 055 6688 (8am-6pm Monday to Friday) to start a claim for most benefits. […]

Income Support

Income Support is a benefit that’s paid to top up your money if you have a low income. Why claim Income Support? Even if the amount of benefit you get is quite small, it’s still worth claiming Income Support  because it entitles you to extra help, for example: help with your housing costs if you […]

Article tags:

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a benefit that helps with the extra costs that disabled people face as a result of their disabilities. DLA is not means-tested, and it is tax free. You don’t need to have paid any National Insurance contributions to claim DLA. In April 2013, a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment […]

Article tags:

Tax credits

Tax credits can help you if you’re paying tax but don’t earn a lot of money. Who is eligible for Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit? You may be eligible for one of these credits if any of the following apply: If you’re in work, you could be eligible for Working Tax Credit. If […]

Article tags:

Finding an independent financial adviser

Financial advisers come in different guises and aren’t always called ‘financial advisers’. Sometimes they are named by their specialism such as ‘mortgage adviser’, ‘investment adviser’, ‘pension adviser’ or ‘financial planner’. Sometimes they are known as ‘brokers’ – often when dealing with products like home and car insurance, mortgages or investments like shares. Why might you […]

Other financial help

If you’re on a low income and are getting certain income-related benefits, you may be eligible for extra help with everyday health costs, including: free prescriptions (income-based benefits only) free NHS dental treatment and dentures (income-based benefits only) free NHS sight tests, glasses and contact lenses (income-based benefits only) vouchers to help you buy or repair […]

Article tags:

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is the new benefit that’s replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people with a disability who are aged 16 to 64. PIP is designed to help you meet some of the extra costs you may have because of a long-term health condition or disability. Claiming PIP Anyone aged 16 to 64 […]

Article tags:

Get in touch with us on: 01708 776770 (Select Option 2) or via online forms