Out of hours help

For out of hours help, call 01708 433999

Not all social care problems happen during office hours and some things need to be dealt with quickly. Office hours are usually between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday and ‘out of hours’ is often referred to as any time outside of this.

In this instance, Havering Council have a special out of hours team to deal with your issues about social care. This team have a good understanding and knowledge and are there to support you when you have an issue that cannot wait until the next working day.

The team can help support you with lots of different issues, including:

  • problems with children and young people
  • child protection issues
  • older people who are at risk or need immediate help
  • concerns about a person with a physical or sensory disability
  • support in coping with someone who has severe learning difficulties or mental health problems
  • assessments under the Mental Health Act
  • act as appropriate adult for young people and vulnerable adults
  • homelessness

What happens next?

When you call the out of hours number, someone will answer the phone and explain your situation. The person on the line will then take your details and the reasons you’re calling. This could be what’s happening or what help you need. After you’ve called, the person will pass your details on to a qualified social worker who will get back in touch with you as soon as they can. The social worker will be able to listen to you, give you help and guidance and support you through your situation. Sometimes, they may pass your details on for someone to contact you the next working day if you need further support.

How to get in touch

You can contact Havering Council out of hours by calling 01708 433999, after 5pm Monday to Friday and at anytime during the weekend.

What to do if you need support within normal office hours

If it’s urgent and it happens from Monday to Friday between 9am-5pm, you can call a the main Havering Council number to get support on 01708 434343.

What to do in an emergency

If it’s an emergency and you need urgent help quickly, call 999 for free at any time to get help from the police, ambulance or fire station. For deaf and deafened people using a Textphone (minicom), dial 18000 in an emergency.

If it’s a medical emergency and you need attention quickly, go to Queen’s Hospital Accident and Emergency (A&E) and explain what’s happened. If you’re unable to get to A&E, call an ambulance on 999.

If it’s urgent, but not life threatening, you can call 111. They’re here to help if you need medical help and advice when it’s not a 999 emergency. The line is open and free to call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Upon calling, 111 will assess your condition and direct you to the local service that can help you best when you need it. That could be your GP doctors surgery, an out of hours GP doctors surgery, A&E, a local urgent care centre, emergency dentist or a late opening pharmacist. If it is an emergency, an ambulance will be dispatched immediately without the need for any further assessment, just as quickly as if you had dialled 999.

Talk to someone

If you need to talk to someone, the Samaritans are there to help. It’s free and completely anonymous to call, so no one knows it’s you. You can call them 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also text, email, write to or visit the Samaritans. The Samaritans is run by volunteers who are happy to take any call, whether it’s an emergency or even if you just need to talk to someone non-judgemental about something that’s happened to you. They’re there to listen to you, when you need to be heard. You can call them on 116 123.

If you have a need, but it’s not urgent, make an appointment to see your GP. Your GP is there to help you with your mental health and your physical health. Emergency appointments and weekend appointments are available at some GP surgeries in Havering.

Get in touch with us on: 01708 776770 (Select Option 2) or via online forms